Art outside of the Museums

I once heard Gonzalo Suarez (famed Spanish director and writer) remark “ Seen one museum, seen them all”. It’s not that I think the same way as him, but the phrase makes me laugh.

In Melbourne, and to a lesser extent in Sydney, you can see far more interesting art outside of the museums than inside them. The people that paint in the streets or the sculptures that you find on them, is what makes these streets or parks worth visiting. And curiously this is the exact reverse phenomenon to what is happening in Spain with many of our ”new” museums: what counts is the building, what’s inside the building is another story.
































 If underneath every painting that I liked, there had been a hat, I would have tossed in a lot of money (provided that the artist or their mate had been there to catch it).

I have only posted a few of the many photos that I have.






And if you think that what is happening is that the artists do not want their paintings to be in the most important museum here (NGV- National Gallery of Victoria), you have good reason to think that: they are afraid of this below.

Yes, you have guessed correctly: A headless mannequin dressed as the Queen of Spades, skating on fake ice made from Styrofoam remainders. Zoom in if you dare.