The flip side of informality

Let’s change the topic to something lighter seeing as I am winding up this blog soon. One of the things that I first noticed here was the lack of any dress norms, especially in the workplace. Now that I’ve been here 2 months and I’ve got only the return portion of my plane ticket, I’ve realized that the lack of these norms has its consequences. Australian’s really miss “ going out as someone or something”. They love costumes.
I’ve already spoken about the hordes on Zombie Day: 3000 people.  I’ve spoken of the outfits at the horse races and of the Salmon Dance. Whenever I’ve been on the street on public holidays, I’ve seen people in costumes. Some of them were dressed like this for group activities, but the majority were dressed like that because they were having a party (let’s just say a private one).



In Australia just as in Spain the gradual dissolution of marriage has led to more divorce parties being celebrated. Here they fill the void by going barefoot to the office (they pull it off without foot odour) in fancy dress. Similarly, you’ll see a man dressed as a smurf hailing a taxi; a group of women dressed as strippers building sandcastles at the beach with their kids or a man dressed as a Super Mario brother playing a rich man’s petanque (turns out that’s  their version of bowling here).


Photos: The top one (from a comic convention and the bottom one (unidentifiable but it is one of the ten that I have of people in costumes for no apparent reason) were taken on different days and in different cities. Guess the common link between the costumes.